Re: [opensuse] How to change video driver?
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 11:46:39 -0500
On 10/07/2010 11:37 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
On 10/07/2010 11:14 AM, Bob Williams wrote:

I'm still getting frequent, intermittent hangs which I believe is due to a
conflict between the kernel and the nvidia video driver

I'd like to try switching to the opensource nv/nouveau driver, but I'm not
sure how to go about it. The xorg-x11-driver-video-nouveau 0.0.15 is
installed, according to yast.

Any suggestions, please?

It's simple.

P.S. - yes you can simply edit the xorg.conf by hand despite all the warning garbage at the top of the file -- it is just a simple text file. Also, you can often get better performance from you card by googling the card name with xorg.conf option -- to get a list and description of options available for your gpu and the driver you are using (nv/nvidia).

Also, I had terrible problems with the 2.6.34x kernels. I'm currently running the 2.6.35 kernel from the kernel/HEAD repo and I have had no issues with it. However, the current 2.6.26rc kernels in HEAD have been hit or miss.

David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC
510 Ochiltree Street
Nacogdoches, Texas 75961