Re: [opensuse] Kde won't accept my password
  • From: Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 08:01:34 +0200
On Tuesday 05 October 2010 01:29:44 Bob Rea wrote:
On Mon October 4 2010 03:46:27 Will Stephenson wrote:
On Monday 04 October 2010 06:59:49 David C. Rankin wrote:
On 10/03/2010 04:24 PM, Bob Rea wrote:
then it had trouble starting but finally got to kde login, now won't
accept my password.
What can I do about that?

Can't upgrade til I have working dvd or cd drive, which was the point
of the exercise.

<snipped avoiding display manager with startx advice/>

Bob, (1) can you login as your normal user at a text console?

yes

(2) Can you login as a different user?

root, yes, console and kde

Sorry, I didn't make it clear that "a different user" implies a non-privileged
user, i.e. not root but not your normal user. This is to exclude a
configuration issue.

Also, what happens if you try to login to a different window manager, eg IceWM
(use the Session Type menu at the login screen)?

(3) What does the login screen actually say - 'Incorrect password'?

no, I enter my password and it redisplays the login screen

Sounds like the X server or KDE crashed on login rather than a password
problem. This could be due to mismatched KDE libraries, a full disk, or buggy
video drivers.

Could you (as well as the system log already asked for) login as the
problematic user to a text console and do

WINDOWMANAGER=`which startkde` startx -- :1 | tee startkde.log

("Using KDE as your window manager, start an X session on display :1 and save
the resulting output to startkde.log')

Then attach the end of the log to your next mail (tail -n 100 startkde.log >
startkde_end.log) and the end of /var/log/XOrg.0.log too.

If not (1), can you login as root, and look at the end of
/var/log/messages for messages from login. This will tell you why
login was rejected, eg:

"
Oct 4 09:40:23 bigbox login[3692]: FAILED LOGIN 1 FROM /dev/tty3 FOR
will, Authentication failure
"

If it's a PAM problem (unlikely in a vanilla setup given that you just
changed cabling) it will be logged here. Let us know the relevant log
messages and we can try and get to the bottom of what's changed on your
system.

I will take a look. but I thought I would lay out answers to your question.
not a good log reader
somewhere there must be a complete newby's guide to how to read logs and
understand what you read

You'll get better.

System logs like /var/log/messages combine log messages from many system
processes, so it would be hard to be complete here. We're only interested in
the lines from login here.

Will
--
Will Stephenson, openSUSE Team