Re: [opensuse] how do I play a wma file?
  • From: dwgallien <dwgallien@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 18:52:18 -0400
On 2010/10/02 11:40 (GMT-0700) John Andersen composed:

On 10/2/2010 9:28 AM, lynn wrote:

11.3

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-suse.html

There is a a repository for it linked to opensuse.org

Is that better than the Packman version?

fwiw, over on the forums it has been a long-standing recommendation to use
Packman's vlc. My understanding is that they are compiled differently, e.g.,
vlc may statically compile in ffmpeg while packman may call the library
externally. I have noticed that packman's tend to be newer, and of course,
packman is exclusively focused on openSUSE and does a lot with multimedia, so
he may be doing something openSUSE specific that's not in vlc's packaging.

What is clear is that the vlc packages should not be mixed between the
repositories, i.e., get them all from just one. I only use the vlc repo for
libdvdcss.