Re: [opensuse] 'localhost' instead of machine name after reboot
  • From: "Michael S. Dunsaavage" <mikesd1981@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 15:31:48 -0400
On 10/1/2010 3:04 PM, James Pifer wrote:
On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 14:52 -0400, Michael S. Dunsaavage wrote:
On 10/1/2010 2:26 PM, James Pifer wrote:
Any ideas how I can reset my machine name like it was before?
Could you temporarily change the host name with the host command and
recover the document?

# host machinename

Then change the hosts file and reboot. however, I would look over the
entire network configuration to make sure nothing else got borked.
I tried that, and although the prompt looks correct int he xterm window,
the title bar of the xterm window still shows username@localhost.

When I start oocalc from within this xterm window, it still gives me the
error.

I found my document in openoffice's backup:
~/.ooo3/user/backup

So that's not an issue. Now I'm just trying to understand what is going
on. Whenever I modify the hosts file, it gets changed on reboot, but not
just changed back to an original file. If I add:
127.0.0.2 machine-name.mydomain.com machine-name

It gets change to:
127.0.0.2 localhost.localdomain localhost

I'll try adding it multiple times and see what happens. It's just very
strange. Nothing else seems out of whack. I got my normal reserved ip
address from dhcp, and the other settings seem fine.

Thanks,
James

I would look around in the network configuration. You said you use network manager. That may be writing something everytime it starts network services. It's been a while since I used that, but there is an option to use traditional ifup if I recall. Also there is an option to not write to hosts file.