Re: [opensuse] remote installation
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 14:06:49 +0100

Per Jessen wrote:
G T Smith wrote:

IIRC the protocol originally was very low level, usually at network
card MAC/Arp addressing (and normally non-routable as a consequence).
Therefore, a properly configured PXE server config *is* required

Well, in my setup I have no such PXE server, has worked fine without it
for a good few years. I have DHCP and TFTP though.

The PXELinux config does have the capability of loading a remote image
without the need for a dhcp server. A static temporary TCP/IP address
may be used for image transfer. See PXELinux documentation at...

http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX

As I stated before I have used PXE in an environment with no dhcp server
with just a default directory defined with no problems.

That's what I use - PXElinux.

I think that should have been "PXE uses BOOTP or DHCP"?

AFAICT (by googling), a PXE server is exactly what I proposed, i.e. a
DHCP+TFTP server. I haven't found any downloadable "PXE server"
package, only instructions for setting one up - which invariably
includes setting up DHCP and TFTP etc. PXE is a software environment
(by Intel IIRC) on the client, not a protocol.

Which is not quite "PXE uses BOOTP or DHCP" !

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup