Re: [opensuse] remote installation
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 14:37:07 -0400
Mark Misulich said the following on 09/28/2010 01:26 PM:
On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 13:08 -0400, Anton Aylward wrote:

My ISP ran a DHCP _server_ that have the dynamic IP address to the
(wired) internet-facing side of my wireless router.

I think mine does as well.

Very likely. Many do. If needed, which I doubt, you can phone and ask.

The wireless router had a bridge so that the wireless and the four
Ethernet ports on the back were on the same subnet.

I don't know how to find that out. I can get to the gateway page and poke
around
in there to find out, it I knew what to look for.

I don't see why you should.
You can just assume it is so for now and proceed with setting up your
laptop to run a client.

The wireless router ran a DHCP _server_ for those ports
I don't know how to find that out either. Same qualification as above.

Does the manual for the wireless router tell you how to "log in"?

Mine - a SMC - tells me to have a machine (for example a laptop) access
http://102.160.2.1 You'll have to check the manual for the address and
the default login for your equipment. After logging in I'm sure you'll
ave a "GEE! WOW!" moment. You'll be able to see a lot about how your
router is and can be configured.

But honestly, if you just press the reset button and proceed with below,
you needn't worry about all that :-)

My laptops(s) were wired in to the Ethernet ports.
(Why? 'Cos they were on the same table. When I went out to the patio I
used the wireless connection.)

My laptop(s) ran DHCP __CLIENTS__ Not servers. CLIENTS

They got their LAN address from the DHCP server on the wireless router.

I think that PXEboot is a client, its what I am trying to boot on the laptop.
There is no operating system on the laptop, I am booting from the "boot
from lan" option in the bios.

Are you commuted to that? Is booting from a CD or a CD image on a USB
stick completely forbidden?

What is your priority here? Getting it loaded or getting PXEBoot to work?

I think your problem is that you are running a server when you should be
running a client. I might be wrong, I'm making a few suppositions
about your network layout. You might also not have the DHCP server on
your wireless/router turned on. Lots of "IF"s.

But that's my guess.

Here is a more detailed explanation of what I am trying to do that will
hopefully clear up the confusion.

http://polishlinux.org/installation/installing-linux-over-network-no-cd-drive/

I have been following this tutorial and others like it, trying to adapt
it to suse.

I'm assuming you have the relevant PXE chip on your Ethernet card.

PXE will ask for an address via DHCP.
The DHCP service will need to give the address of the TFTP server.

Do you have a TFTP server that is going to disk out the code?

The one time I did this I had a PXE service that asked for the address
of the TFTP server after it got the address to use as its own address
from the DHCP server.

I think you have a cascade of problems here and I think we are "fixing"
the haphazardly.

I you have a local server from which to do the installation then you
don't need the router and internet connection (until you run updates).

If you do have a server on your LAN and it has all the code needed for
the install, ten we get back to your DHCP server configuration.

I'm not sure why you gutted and replaced the server when there was just
a type - it looked like a missing space - in your config file.

My advice is to install form a CD or USB stick!

When you have a running LAN, then gain experience with it and experiment
with DHCP.

Right now, we are advising you without enough contextual details and I
suspect that you don't yet know the innards of your equipment well
enough to answer some of our questions or to make reasonable assumptions
about the details we omit.

This is one of the problems with "debug-by-email" :-)
We're not looking over your shoulder and seeing the details of what you
do. And that's probably why some courses and "hands on" workshops are
so popular :-)

How important is completing the instillation?
Important enough to go the CD route?

--
The line, often adopted by strong men in controversy, of justifying the
means by the end.