Re: [opensuse] remote installation
  • From: Mark Misulich <munguanaweza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 13:26:45 -0400
On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 13:08 -0400, Anton Aylward wrote:
Mark Misulich said the following on 09/28/2010 12:42 PM:

My lan is my desktop computer connected to my wireless/wired router.
The router is connected to my dsl modem via cable. The laptop computer
that I am trying to install the os on is connected to the router via

I no longer run a LAN quite like that, but when I did ...

My ISP ran a DHCP _server_ that have the dynamic IP address to the
(wired) internet-facing side of my wireless router.
I think mine does as well.

The wireless router had a bridge so that the wireless and the four
Ethernet ports on the back were on the same subnet.
I don't know how to find that out. I can get to the gateway page and poke around
in there to find out, it I knew what to look for.
(I can't say I like that, but never mind)

The wireless router ran a DHCP _server_ for those ports
I don't know how to find that out either. Same qualification as above.
My laptops(s) were wired in to the Ethernet ports.
(Why? 'Cos they were on the same table. When I went out to the patio I
used the wireless connection.)

My laptop(s) ran DHCP __CLIENTS__ Not servers. CLIENTS

They got their LAN address from the DHCP server on the wireless router.
I think that PXEboot is a client, its what I am trying to boot on the laptop.
There is no operating system on the laptop, I am booting from the "boot
from lan" option in the bios.
I think your problem is that you are running a server when you should be
running a client. I might be wrong, I'm making a few suppositions
about your network layout. You might also not have the DHCP server on
your wireless/router turned on. Lots of "IF"s.

But that's my guess.
Here is a more detailed explanation of what I am trying to do that will
hopefully clear up the confusion.

I have been following this tutorial and others like it, trying to adapt
it to suse.

The whole art of teaching is only the art of awakening the natural
curiosity of young minds for the purpose of satisfying it afterwards.
-- Anatole France (1844 - 1924), The Crime of Sylvestre Bonnard