Re: [opensuse] remote installation
  • From: Mark Misulich <munguanaweza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 13:26:45 -0400
On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 13:08 -0400, Anton Aylward wrote:
Mark Misulich said the following on 09/28/2010 12:42 PM:

My lan is my desktop computer connected to my wireless/wired router.
The router is connected to my dsl modem via cable. The laptop computer
that I am trying to install the os on is connected to the router via
cable.

I no longer run a LAN quite like that, but when I did ...

My ISP ran a DHCP _server_ that have the dynamic IP address to the
(wired) internet-facing side of my wireless router.
I think mine does as well.

The wireless router had a bridge so that the wireless and the four
Ethernet ports on the back were on the same subnet.
I don't know how to find that out. I can get to the gateway page and poke around
in there to find out, it I knew what to look for.
(I can't say I like that, but never mind)

The wireless router ran a DHCP _server_ for those ports
I don't know how to find that out either. Same qualification as above.
My laptops(s) were wired in to the Ethernet ports.
(Why? 'Cos they were on the same table. When I went out to the patio I
used the wireless connection.)

My laptop(s) ran DHCP __CLIENTS__ Not servers. CLIENTS

They got their LAN address from the DHCP server on the wireless router.
I think that PXEboot is a client, its what I am trying to boot on the laptop.
There is no operating system on the laptop, I am booting from the "boot
from lan" option in the bios.
I think your problem is that you are running a server when you should be
running a client. I might be wrong, I'm making a few suppositions
about your network layout. You might also not have the DHCP server on
your wireless/router turned on. Lots of "IF"s.

But that's my guess.
Here is a more detailed explanation of what I am trying to do that will
hopefully clear up the confusion.

http://polishlinux.org/installation/installing-linux-over-network-no-cd-drive/

I have been following this tutorial and others like it, trying to adapt
it to suse.

--
The whole art of teaching is only the art of awakening the natural
curiosity of young minds for the purpose of satisfying it afterwards.