Re: [opensuse] latest kernel update breaks ATI binary driver
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 22:55:44 +0200 (CEST)

On Sunday, 2010-09-26 at 22:20 +0200, Anders Johansson wrote:

On Sun, 2010-09-26 at 16:13 -0400, Andrew Joakimsen wrote:

So I don't see any reason for SUSE (or anyone else) to keep this bloat
in the Kernel, especially when they are hidden in a "security patch"

I think you need to discuss this with a lawyer. The bottom line is that
it is part of an upstream licensing decision, they originate the code so
they are not bound by what the GPL says you can or cannot do. They
decide how their code is licensed, and suse (or any other redistributor)
can't just change that. A module vendor also can't change the header
simply to make his module compile, and it is doubtful if he is allowed
to define the GPL macro even though his code isn't GPL, simply to allow
access to the license protected code

I don't see why SUSE/Novell has to apply this change to a kernel that was already released to us, in a stable distro. I believe the should simply correct bugs, as they always do, without upgrading the kernel, and leave further changes for factory (or KOTD).

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)