Re: [opensuse] Now That Novell is seling the Linux Division...
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 15:21:35 -0500
On 09/21/2010 04:13 AM, Simon Caseley wrote:
If VMware buys Novell's Linux business, it's a compelling value proposition
for
VMware customers: my experience is that customers like integrated solutions
from
a single vendor.

Great point Simon,

I guess the uncertainty is "what does this mean for openSuSE?" It's
speculation
granted, but at the macro level, I don't seem much changing. If vmware wants
Novell for whatever reason ...and... keeps SLES/SLED, then openSuSE should
remain the test-bed/development arm for both. No company in their right mind
would do away with all the free user contribution and support that goes into the
opensuse pipeline.

That being said, the touchstone for opensuse will hinge on their
approach to
either (1) maintaining opensuse as a quality opensource distro, or (2) whether
they let it become a loose beta where the development is piped downstream to
SLES/SLED or (3) whether they fall into the trap of shrinking release cycles to
gen up revenue. The latter two are never good.

We can "what if" this to death, but the bottom line is we will just
have to
wait and see. Regardless of whether a sale goes through, we are unlikely to have
any idea of the direction any new owner will take or the consequence to opensuse
until at earliest 11.5 (or whatever they call the one after 11.4) 11.4 is fairly
well mapped out.

My last .02 on the issue :p

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.