Re: [opensuse] Now That Novell is seling the Linux Division...
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 00:02:29 +1000
On 21/09/2010 19:39, jsa wrote:
On 09/21/2010 02:28 AM, C wrote:
On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 10:57, David C. Rankin wrote:
On 09/21/2010 02:53 AM, C wrote:
Whoever buys openSUSE will be buying it for a reason, and they will
not invest a substantial chunk of money into acquiring openSUSE from
Novel only to kill it off and bury the remains.
You would need to qualify that slightly by saying the possibility, though rare,
may depend on the source of the capital used for the purchase. There are those
with adverse motives of course... ( hypothetically MS funds the vmware purchase
using vmware as the front-man, kills suse, then sues Novell and the wayward
users for infringement under the MS-Novell deal). Nah -- it would never happen
:p
It's all speculation. None of us has any firm information, and those
that do cannot talk about it (and I don't expect them to speak up
either).

C.

I'm pretty sure we all know its speculation at this point.
Seriously, is that all you have to offer?

In the short term, speculation seldom gets things totally wrong. (The
long term is another story). If this deal is getting close to being
done, and people are saying "no comment" instead of outright denials
then you can pretty much guarantee the speculation in the press is
pretty much spot on.

Please refresh my memory: what was the "speculation" when Novell was rumoured to about to buy SuSE? Why was Novell buying SuSE? What business plan did Novell have in doing so?

What was the final result?

BC

--
I didn't know it was impossible when I did it.