Re: [opensuse] Problem with mount via device notifier
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 17:32:40 -0400
Anders Johansson said the following on 09/18/2010 03:56 PM:
On Saturday 18 September 2010, Anton Aylward wrote:
When I mount a USB stick via the device notifier, I can't edit or change
attributes of any file.

I seem to own the file and directory and have owner write permission,
according to LS.

Not only can I not modify the file, but I can't chmod or chow/chgrp it
as root either.

It is vfat. The vfat file system has no concept of owner of file permissions,
so it is not surprising that you can't set them. This is why the ownership of
the files on the partition is set with a mount option

The vfat file system also doesn't support any other kinds of attributes. If
that is important to you, you need to reformat your USB stick with a better
file system

Granted, but that doesn't address the real issue.
I'm trying to edit the file. I can't; it won't let me save.
I can't write back to the device.
I can't see any reason why I can't write back to the device.
I own the files and its mounted rw and all the rest.

--
The future, according to some scientists, will be exactly like the past,
only far more expensive.