Re: [opensuse] kernel problems
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 16:26:20 -0400
On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 4:22 PM, dwgallien <dwgallien@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am currently using kernel 2.6.34-12-desktop.  I tried upgrading to 2.6.34.4
and found that X would not work.  Downgrading resolved that issue.  So I was
pleased to see a new kernel out 2.6.34.7 However on trying this update my
system wouldn't boot.  It gives the following error message.

mount: unknown filesystem type 'ext4'

Has the new kernel not been built with support for ext4? Has anyone else
updated to the new kernel and found this problem with ext4? Is there a simple
solution or do I need to recompile the kernel?

Thanks in advance.
Eddie

I don't remember if ext4 is in the kernel or not (I'm still using ext3).
Whatever, a simple solution is to add it to the initrd via Yast sysconfig
editor, the initrd will be rebuilt upon exit.  Can also be done from the
command line by editing /etc/sysconfig/kernel and then running mkinitrd.

If it's not already in the just released kernel by default, it's a bug
pure and simple.

I'll update my system now and try it out.

Greg