Re: [opensuse] No GNOME after upgrade
  • From: Robert Schweikert <rschweikert@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 13:10:22 -0400

On 09/17/2010 12:44 PM, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
On Friday 17 September 2010, Robert Schweikert wrote:
Hi,

Used zypper dup to move from 11.1 to 11.3, and now my desktop will no
longer display. Well, the background displays OK, but there is no panel
and right click on the desktop does not work either.

When I remotely log into the machine and set $DISPLAY to :0.0 and then
try to start xlock for example I get the following:

-> xclock
No protocol specified
Error: Can't open display: :0.0

Starting a GNOME app such as just results in the following:

-> gnome-terminal
No protocol specified
Failed to parse arguments: Cannot open display:

-> echo $DISPLAY

:0.0

Any ideas what's going on here and how to fix it?

Looks to me as the X settings have been screwed up and has to be fixed.

OK, any pointers about what files I need to fiddle with would be much
appreciated.

Robert

Software Engineer Consultant LINUX
rschweikert@xxxxxxxxxx