Re: [opensuse] Has dual-boot changed?
  • From: dwgallien <dwgallien@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 15:14:12 -0400

I prefer to leave the windows booter, or a default booter, in the MBR. When
installing linux, I
setup grub in the partition, not in the MBR (which I leave intact), and then
mark the partition as
bootable. When installing or restoring windows it will mark its own partition
as bootable, "killing"
grub, but it is trivial to revert the active signal to the linux one.

I do the same. Any version of Windows MBR code will load the active primary's
boot sector. There can be a gotcha though with W7, as the disk signature is
used for proprietary features (IIRC, BitLocker).

Surprisingly, I found this also works if linux is on a logical partition. Grub
can be put in the boot sector of the extended primary with a pointer to the
logical. The MBR code doesn't care if the primary is the extended.