Re: [opensuse] Has dual-boot changed?
  • From: John Perry <j.e.perry-t@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 20:57:41 -0400
Felix, I'm working on the references you gave me; thanks.

On 9/13/2010 2:02 AM, Mark Misulich wrote:
Hi,
to dual or multiboot windows with linux, I use this procedure.
Windows should be installed on the first primary partition of the
harddrive, assuming you have only one hard drive.

Well, as I said, I couldn't find my xp install disks at first, so I installed suse so I'd have something. Now suse / is on partition 1 and xp is on partition 2. After that comes the extended partition containing space for 4 more linux-style distributions (quantian and qnx at least; maybe Hard Hat linux to see what it'll do).
I personally use G parted to setup my partitions before installing
openSUSE, using the setup above. I do this because I usually
multiboot win with two or more linux. You can get here if you desire:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

In fact, I used gparted on both my laptop and my wife's new computer. And it appears to have done the same to both: ext2ifs.exe reports that the linux partitions are unformatted, and ntfs-3g on my laptop can't write to the Windows partition.

I tried with another utility (whose name I can't remember atm), and in Windows command line mode it reported bad "magic" in both partitions. I got no information out of ntfs-3g at all except that it would read the xp partition. So I may have to repartition and reinstall everything before it's over; but I still want to try this at least to learn.

On both computers the OS's work fine within their own partitions.

If you don't want to edit text directly, you can do this via
yast>system>bootloader, but I can't remember how to tell you exactly.
It is pretty easy anyways, and is almost self explanatory if you know
how to edit the text directly.

Although I prefer yast when possible, I have no problem with text when I have to. I like the gui's help reminding me of what's available and guiding me in good directions (when it's well programmed, that is).

jp