Re: [opensuse] glxgears fails under installed 11.3
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 17:31:35 +1000
On 13/09/2010 17:02, Peter Nikolic wrote:
On Monday 13 Sep 2010 07:52:16 C. Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
On Monday, September 13, 2010 01:04:13 pm Basil Chupin wrote:
On 13/09/2010 15:35, C. Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
On Monday, September 13, 2010 06:16:21 am Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Terry Eck<terry_eck@xxxxxxxxxxx> [09-12-10 14:48]:
I hope I'm just missing some rpm and someone can help me out. When I
issue "glxgears" the following is displayed on the console:

lib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
glxgears: Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual.
you do not have 3d enabled, ie: nv is driver no nvidia
Just a question. I have e.g. nouveau (nv) on my machine and glxgears is
able to run. Is nv better as general thought?

My NVIDIA card is not included anymore in the newest nvidia drivers.
GeForce2 MX/MX400. And I never was able or had the time to install the
nvidia 96.43.18 driver which would be the driver of choice.
But why not? Not complicated.

Unless things have changed radically in recent times, download& install
the kernel source; then download the #96 driver from nVidia site. Easier
if you then transfer/copy it into a simple recognisable directory such
as ~/temp0 for example.

Do CTRL-ALT-F3; then place yourself in the ~/temp0 directory (or
whichever) [cd /home/<your-home-name>/temp0] and do "sh NVIDIA<tab> "
and then press RETURN to execute the driver's installation script.
Follow the prompts which appear - answer Yes or No.

After the driver is installed, CTRL-ALT-F7 and you are back on your
Desktop with nVidia driver installed. Easy-peasy.

BC
Will keep this explanation handy ;)

But what are the advantages of the nividia driver towards the nouveau
driver. Would I see improvements apart from the Nvidia splash screen
halfway booting?

Dont forget you need to do " init 3" before you install the driver
and "init 5" once it is installed all as root

Pete .
Which is where CTRL-ALT-F3 comes in and then CTRL-ALT-F7 comes in...

BC

--
Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently
they believe it.