Re: [opensuse] Has dual-boot changed?
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 18:21:32 -0400
On 2010/09/12 18:04 (GMT-0400) John Perry composed:

I was expecting a vaguely remembered option to "repair
installed system", or some such, which isn't on either the net install
disk or the complete iso. I'd rather not have to reinstall suse, even
if I could be sure that would solve all my problems.

Repair was dropped from 11.3 because there are too many failure modes and
would require a herculean amount of development time to keep useful.

So, googling "suse xp dual boot", I find several references to such a
feature on ubuntu and some others, but I also hit a scary comment that
substituting the xp bootloader is risky, and it's better to modify it to
give the option to boot linux (bkpavan.wordpress.com, apcmag.com,
www.wellho.net).

When searching, try "multiboot" or "multi boot" or "multi-boot", as dual boot
has a special meaning: exactly two, and more specifically, two different
systems booting from the very same partition (e.g. both DOS and Windows
booting from C:). Multiboot means any bootable OS number greater than one.
http://fm.no-ip.com/PC/partitioningindex.html#WHATDUAL

See if http://fm.no-ip.com/PC/install-doz-after.html isn't enough help. If
not, ask more specific questions.

FWIW, recovering your already installed openSUSE should be easy, but
communicating the best procedure to accomplish it isn't, and needs specific
and detailed information about your partitioning to acquire the best
recommended plan.

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/