[opensuse] Re: Re: I'm still a little confused about "openSUSE BuildService"
  • From: "Joe(theWordy)Philbrook" <jtwdyp@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 09:16:21 -0400

It would appear that on Sep 12, Tejas Guruswamy did say:

On 12/09/10 01:43, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
--<snip>--
But it seems I'm going to need to know the package names intimately to
find things however. For example there's a utility called emprint from
one of the enlightenment versions (I think e17) That I like to use to add
screen shot capability to bash scripts which I can then use without having
to touch that durned rodent pointing device. Well anyway I remember that
when I played with that search link you included above it didn't find
anything for emprint, nor did it show up in yast's software managements
searches for enlightenment, e17, or e16, but when I searched specifically
for emprint with yast, it found it...

I do wish there was a good way to search/browse for software packages by
descriptions of what they do rather than having to know what they are
named. It would help regular Joe-users discover new software choices they
were not previously familiar with.
--<snip>--

Did you look at the "Description" tab in the lower-right of the Yast2
software installation window? It shows a long description of whatever
package you have selected.

Yes I had... And for example that "enlightenment-1.0.0-5.1" didn't say
anything about it's being E17 anywheres in the description field. But I'll
admit in retrospect it did have one clue I should have noticed. At the
bottom of that description field there is an Authors list that included the
Rasterman " Carsten Haitzler <raster (at)rasterman.com> " Which I should
have remembered was an e17 mastermind. But anyone not already familiar with
that fact couldn't tell from the description that enlightenment-1.0.0-5.1"
wasn't an e16 version...

However You got me thinking about description fields and when I added
"[x] Description" to the search in field list Searching for "Enlightenment"
finds the "E17 - Next generation Desktop Shell" package. Though I still
have to "just know" to search specifically for Emprint to find it. Which is
probably because the only place enlightenment is mentioned in the emprint
package info is under the tech data tab where "package Group:" says
"System/GUI/Enlightenment/Tools"...

Also, in the top-left, click the "View" dropdown and add the "Patterns",
"Package Groups", and "RPM Groups" tabs - they may help you find new
packages as they group software by purpose.

Now those View settings look very very useful... Now I'm kicking myself
in the head (or would be if I was just a little bit more nimble) for not
experimenting with those view settings the first time I opened yast's
software management tool... ;-7

Thanks!