Re: [opensuse] lsm space giveth and space taketh away: missing space?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 12:58:41 +0200

On 2010-09-02 11:04, Philipp Thomas wrote:
On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 15:12:35 +1000, Basil Chupin <> wrote:

I suggest that you look at how the KBs are counted by the manufacturer and
then the OS. If I recall correctly, HD mfgrers use something like ~1458
bytes (or something) = 1Kb.

No, they use 1KB = 1000 B - which is the correct usage.

In one of my Windows (ex-windows ie :-) ) applications the "normal"
count was 1024 bytes = 1Kb but I altered the setting to give me a "true"
count of 1000 bytes = 1Kb so that I always knew where I stood.

The only true thing about that is that you follow the disc
manufacturers. Sizes in computerland are still powers of 2 i.e 2^^n.

Yes, but the name has changed. 1024 Bytes is now one kibibyte, abbreviated 1
KiB. And 1 KB is now
exactly 1000 bytes, following the same rule as for any other unit of
measurement (SI).

It is IEEE 1541 standard. Also IEC 60027.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix

]> Starting in about 2000, a number of standards and trade organizations
approved standards and
recommendations for a new set of binary prefixes, proposed earlier by the
International
Electrotechnical Commission (IEC), that would refer unambiguously to powers of
1024. According to
these, the SI prefixes would only be used in the decimal sense, even when
referring to data storage
capacities: kilobyte and megabyte would denote one thousand bytes and one
million bytes respectively
(consistent with SI), while new terms such as kibibyte, mebibyte and gibibyte,
abbreviated KiB, MiB,
and GiB, would denote 1024 bytes, 1048576 bytes, and 1073741824 bytes
respectively.[1]
]>
]> In practice, the IEC binary prefixes have seen little use by the press or
the US computing
industry and marketplace. However, they are starting to appear in the EU
computing industry and
marketplace (as required by EU law since 2007),[2][3] certain US and
International Government
contexts (as required by contract or internal policy),[4] and popular free and
open source software
such as Linux.[5]

We should make sure that all our software and documentation adheres to the
standard, so that
confusions such as the OP is experiencing do not arise again.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" GM (Elessar))