Re: [opensuse] fetchmail daemon fails to start on 11.3
  • From: Andre Truter <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 01:54:47 +0200
On 2010-08-25 23:23, Andre Truter wrote:
I installed a sever with openSUSE 11.3 and we use fetchmail on it.

But when I try to start fetchmail, I get the following:
--<snip>--
#rcfetchmail start
Starting fetchmailfetchmail: can't find a password for
fetchmail@/var/log/fetchmail.
startproc: exit status of parent of /usr/bin/fetchmail: 3
--<snip>--

Any idea how to get the daemon to start?

/etc/sysconfig/fetchmail exists? Is it correct? Post it here, changing
passwords and logins.

/etc/sysconfig/fetchmail : (Comments removed)
--<snip>--
FETCHMAIL_POLLING_INTERVAL="120"

FETCHMAIL_FETCHALL="yes"

FETCHMAIL_SILENT="no"

FETCHMAIL_USER="fetchmail"

FETCHMAIL_EXPERT_OPTIONS=""
--<snip>--

I then have a /etc/fetchmailrc that have the accounts like this:

--<snip>--
poll pop3.example.co.za
proto pop3
user "user1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
pass "thepassword"
is user1
poll pop3.example.co.za
proto pop3
user "user2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
pass "thepassword"
is user2
poll pop3.example.co.za
proto pop3
user "userx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
pass "thepassword"
is userx
;
--<snip>--

Have a look at "/var/log/fetchmail".

It is empty.

I managed to run fetchmail manually as user fetchmail and then it
complains that no servers are configured.

We are migrating an 11.1 server over to new hardware (with 11.3), so
this configuration has been working fine on 11.1.

What is baffeling me is that a fresh install on 11.3 asks for a password
when fetchmail is started. And the error message does not make sense to
me. I also found no reference to it on google.

--
Andre Truter | Software Consultant | Registered Linux user #185282
Jabber: andre.truter@xxxxxxxxx | http://www.trusoft.co.za

~ "Ubuntu" is an African word meaning "SUSE is too hard for me" - Anon
SUSE user ~