Re: [opensuse] OT slightly: Manually recognizing SPAM emails
  • From: John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 15:21:21 -0700
On 8/24/2010 3:12 PM, Duaine Hechler wrote:
John Andersen wrote:
On 8/24/2010 1:37 PM, Duaine Hechler wrote:

Because I have a business and don't want to take the chance of deleting
something I may want to get, I have been using the IP address as well as
a few keywords to build my own spam control - so far blocking about 99%.

I've tried googling many ways and not getting anything I'm looking for.

However, is there any tell tale signs in the email headers to look for ?

Any website that tells how to block spam using info from the headers ?

Thanks, Duaine

You are on a fools errand trying to block by these means.

Just install SpamAssassin and let it detect spam.

Spamassassin does not BLOCK. It only TAGS. Therefore you can
put everything with low scores directly in your in-box and
put things with high scores (spam) into a probably spam
folder without fear of ever BLOCKING valid mail.

That's the point of starting my own version. I don't want the mail in
the first place.

So, in Thunderbird, I tell it to delete it from the POP server - then -
if by accident it gets to me, then I have it set to delete it.

Therefore, even though my traffic is small potatoes, I'm saving that
much more on "crap" traffic.

Duaine

Oh, I see. I was confused by your lead in statement that implied
a false positive was your biggest fear. (Deleting something important).

If in fact your major concern is cutting down on crap traffic, AND
you OWN a pop server (one has to ask why in gods name are you still using
pop), then you can put some filters on that machine.

But those filters are STILL better done in postfix before the mail is
accepted, and preferably by something under constant maintenance like
spamassassin running under postfix with something like Amavis.

You've ALREADY paid the bandwidth by the time it hits your mail
server tho...