Re: [opensuse] Kaddressbook
  • From: Peter Nikolic <p.nikolic1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 09:12:23 +0100
On Wednesday 18 Aug 2010 08:18:52 C wrote:
On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 09:00, Peter Nikolic wrote:
In my address book i have groups setup so i can quickly filter out what i
dont want now having moved to 11.3 and KDE4.4.4 where are the groups
they have all gone and i cant find any mention of them anywhere , How o
i get them back they are there because they are needed not for someone
to come along and thow in the can

No one has thrown anything in the can.

Kaddressbook in 4.4.4 is known to have certain features currently
unavailable. The groups you created are still there (from what I read
on it) just not visible in 4.4.4 for various reasons. You may find it
shows back up again in KDE4.5.0. or 4.5.1. Basically, they are
working on it.

I don't use KAddressBook... I look at it in KDE4.5.0 and I see a New
Contact Group button... if I click it, I can add contact group
members. It looks a bit like a mailing list function though... the
old distribution list functionality. I assume this is not what you're
looking for?

No it is the ability to have your addressbook contacts sorted as for instance
i have a group called QMC and another QMC-Comm Friends and so on if i
choose only members of QMC are listed and no others apart from crossovers
from other groups

Also where is all the configuration of Kaddressbook 2 things thats all

contact actions > pick web browser or phone dialing skype or external
app

the LDAP well i dont use LDAP and i doubt most home users use LDAP
where are the settings .

This is a very very big backward step i cant remember it being this bad
for a long time if this is thanks to the non functioning (running but
for what) akonadi
then i suggest we move away from it and lets get back with
something that works and if that means multiple metadata staks then so
be it this is a no hoper right now

And i do wish we could get away from this reliance on databases in every
application as for Mysql well never could see the need for something like
that on a desktop it is a server function and thats where it needs to stay .

It's being reworked and redesigned. Things aren't going to be quite
right until they get it closer to the spec. What you see in the 4.4.4
release of KDE4 is not the final goal of KAddressBook... it's a
snapshot of how far the developers got so far. There is a lot more
planned for it - again, from what I read when I searched for info on
this before replying. KDE.org has a load of info available...
including indications of where these well used apps should end up.

Sure hope so cus it not up to much right now fortunately the laptop is still
is still on 11.2 KDE 3.5.10 and working fine just means i have to get the
lappy out just to do mailing labels ect or Committee lists bit annoying
when i got a desktop on all the time with several times the power

snipped (for now)

Pete .