Re: [opensuse] An old story, six years later (OT, or NOT?)
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 16:11:52 +0200
On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 15:24, Radule Šoškić wrote:
I want a stable KDE4 opensuse 11.3 machine that is updated to the latest
bug-fixes from the kernel all the way up to the apps like openoffice,
mozilla stuff (F-fox and T-bird) and mp3-aware multimedia
(audio/video/webcam). And yes I am ready to give up compiz and go for kwin
effects.

I am ready to build up one really stable and well behaving installation. I
want to get the same experience as all other happy people on the list.

Could you please, help me with the list of repos that I have to use, besides
the ones that come with fresh install.

I sincerely want to give it a try.

Add the Community repositories. Go to YaST > Software > Software
Repositories > Add > Community Repositories and pick the ones that are
of interest to you.

For KDE4, http://en.opensuse.org/KDE_repositories has all the info you
need. For a stable KDE4.5.0, add Factory (KDE4.5), not Unstable SC
(KDE Trunk). Make sure you include Extra and Playground. Set the
repository priority to a number lower than the default 99. While in
the YaST Software installer click View > Repositories. Then click the
new "Repositories" tab. Select the three new KDE4 Factory
repositories you just added (should be in the list on the left) and
then click the "Switch system packages" link to switch over to the new
KDE repository.

During the updates, make sure you also get the latest dbus package or
Dolphin will crash all the time due to a bug in the dbus version that
comes with 11.3 (the bug affects KDE4.5.0 not 4.4.4).

Depending on your hardware, you may find you need to update your
default kernel to Kernel:openSUSE-11.3 for 2.6.34 with backports or
Kernel:Head for 2.6.35 (depending on which you prefer)

The repos for the Kernel are:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/HEAD/openSUSE_11.3/
or
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/openSUSE-11.3/openSUSE_11.3/

This is basically what I've done on my computers, and it's running
fine (fast, stable, reliable etc etc).

Did I miss anything?

C.