[opensuse] Re: OpenSuse 11.3 is what?
  • From: James Hatridge <James.Hatridge@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 20:58:07 +0200
On 08/11/2010 12:05 AM, C wrote:
On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 23:44, Frans de Boer wrote:
Still, the other issues remain but adding a modes line to the xorg.conf
file help to solve the resolution changing and 2.6.35(.1) resolves the
latency issue. Really, xrandr is a solution for which you need to have
at least 3 degrees to make it work (little exaggerating :)). I mean,
user friendliness has gone out of the window here. Hm, must have had a
false notion picked up along the line that most OSS developers care
about the possible normal end users. Sorry, my mistake.

Generally speaking, the new Xorg works very very well. It's only a
very small number of users that are facing issues after the change.

sax2 was a great tool, but it lacked a maintainer going forward. It
was brought up, with a request for volunteers.. no one stepped up.. it
was dropped. That's the harsh reality of OSS. When new features some
in to play, the older and sometimes very reliable methods die off.
Look at Beagle and how much effort and pain went into that... it's
essentially dead now.

the Xorg auto detect works in more than 99% of the cases. The less
than 1% that have special use cases are left to the fall back..
creating their own xorg.conf or tinkering with xrandr. It seems to
hit hardest on those using high-end old CRTs at high resolutions.
CRTs are really... getting harder to find and subsequently harder to
support as Linux evolves. I can understand why someone doing work on
image editing or video editing may need the CRT features (more
accurate color, higher resolutions, and crisper display)... but those
who write the software we use are not typically in that very small
user group... thus.. the software they write ends up being more for
the majority... those who are using TFT monitors... that provide
proper ID info reporting and can be easily autodetected and set up by
Xorg.

User friendliness in Xorg has increased a thousand times(or more) for
the seething masses (ie users like me)... at the unfortunate expense
of the dwindling few such as yourself. :-(

I understand your reasoning and appreciate the effort you put in to
explain things. First of all: I use two 22" LCD displays - no CRT's
anymore. Total pixel area 3360*1050. Using the ctrl+alt+-/+ keys I could
switch display resolution on the fly and use panning if needed.
Using the xrandr 1.3 utility needs some study to make one or two scripts
to implement the same behavior and have a quick response instead to
using some arcane cli method for which you seem to have the man page
also online because of the many different options.
As far as I can see, we are living in a graphical world and cli's are
still needed but should be hidden mostly from none technical users.

Now, I am technically trained and can find my way. But how am I to
recommend this to others if a simple physical display resolution can not
even be done anymore. Sorry, this is - in my view - no progress but a
step back.

Frans.

I agree with Frans, I have a brand new 24" Samsung and this crappy new way of
doing things made it where I could not even use 11.3. The Samsung would turn
itself off before I could make any changes. SuSE should not get rid of
something that works until the newer thing is working. And this is not. So I'm
stuck on 11.2 until something better happens.

JIM

--
The US was colonized by the religious, political, economic, and criminal
rejects of every country in the world. We have been carefully breeding insane,