Re: [opensuse] X regressions
  • From: Frans de Boer <frans@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 09:54:13 +0200
On 08/11/2010 01:28 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
On 2010/08/11 00:29 (GMT+0200) Frans de Boer composed:

...how am I to
recommend this to others if a simple physical display resolution can not
even be done anymore. Sorry, this is - in my view - no progress but a
step back.

Seems more like 4-5 steps back since randr was conceived. Used to be X could
itself perform the functions of cvt, gtf, xmode and/or randr, using a simple
expression of desired resolution from xorg.conf to produce the user's
preference, but can in many or most cases no longer, instead requiring
running in advance any or more of several utilities, and putting their
results in some startup script instead of a config file.

see the advantage of X being self configuring/detecting the hardware.
But sacrificing the different resolution possibilities is a design
decision and therefor a bug report would be inappropriate. It's no bug,
it's a feature (or lack of).

By the way, Mac and Windows do support dual displays with different
resolutions. However, no panning there - unless the driver supports that
natively.

Anyhow, we can work around that by changing the xorg.conf file or
running xrandr within a script or not.
Fact is that the user experience of self configuring X is just one time
only and invisible to the user, but the previous goodies are not there
anymore for those who use it daily and are not available for future
audience anymore making the X experience similar to Mac and Windows -
thus not offering any extra.

Glad to hear the voice of Felix too, so I am no longer alone in this
world ;)
So what we actually should do is making a feature request - not a bug
report - to restore the previous functionalities with the same easy of
control. Or, if that is not honored, to preserve the xorg.conf file
functionality in future releases so technical skilled people still can
use the required functionality. Also, to get at least on par with
Windows and Mac again offer a GUI (intuitive) for xrandr. The display
setting experience under X are now static and offer nothing for the
normal user to set/change various resolutions.

I will look at the xorg site to see where I can drop these requests and
concerns.

Frans.