Re: [opensuse] 11.3 and very slow nvidia performance
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 09:29:35 +0200
On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 09:19, Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
I use WindowMaker (and tried KDE shortly from another local user) and
under KDE it's even more sluggish because of the enabled desktop
effects. So it likely includes the 3D/OpenGL performance as well.

Example:
CSS3 transitions in FF4b are much smoother on my slow laptop with Intel
graphics compared with my powerful workstation having the nVidia card.

What's your Xorg doing? Is it chewing up 100% CPU while you're
experiencing the sluggishness? Are you finding that the computer
becomes completely unresponsive for 1 or 2 seconds at a time?

This sounds a lot like what I experienced with my system with
nVidia... on another system with intel graphics, the problem didn't
show up at all and KDE4 works fine using default drivers and kernel.

My solution for the nVidia/11.3 sluggishness problem was to bump up to
the 2.6.35 kernel. Someone else has had success with booting with
vmalloc=192M. I haven't tried the vmalloc boot parameter, but moving
to 2.6.35 made a HUGE difference in my KDE4 performance.

You can get the 2.6.35 kernel from this repository:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/HEAD/openSUSE_11.3/

C.