[opensuse] OpenSuse 11.3 is what?
  • From: Frans de Boer <frans@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2010 02:12:06 +0200
Dear reader,

I tried upgrade and also several fresh installs to no avail to get it
working like I expect it to be.
Using Suse since version 7.3 I have seen some versions which should
never have seen the light of day. I fear 11.3 is one of them. Problems I
have:
- Thunderbird - does not connect anymore to my server (11.2 still does).
- Dependencies during install upon some weird or unexpected libraries.
- Resolution setting using NVIDIA (256.44) (or Nouveau) driver using
CTRL+ALT+[-|+] does not work unless I copy the xorg.conf file from 11.2
- Default nouveau driver can only be removed making a new initrd file.
- Sometimes the system is verrry slow to respond to any kind of user
input. (11.2 with 2.6.34.2 kernel reacts normally). I have the notion
that the 2.6.34-12 kernel is the one with the (now resolved) 2.6.35
problem. It's not an accident that the 2.6.34-git12 files have been
removed before.

Looking at he postings it strikes me that there are far more questions
from other people then in the same period for 11.2.

Oh yes, memtest86 is not working for me under both 11.2 and 11.3 when
started from hard disk (error 15 whatever that means). It does, however,
work correctly from DVD.

If memory serves me correctly - the last disasters I had encountered
where 10.2 and/or 11.1. I think I wait for a full upgrade on 11.3 (maybe
11.4) before wasting my time again. Kernel 2.6.35 works even under 11.2
although some other software like DazukoFS needs some tweaking.
For now, I stick to 11.2 with the newest libraries and software (mostly)
manually compiled and installed because 11.3 cost me to much time.

Oh yes, I used 11.3 RC1-3 before within a VM using Qemu and KVM without
problems. But of course, no real hardware and many (graphical) functions
missing. However, it was NOT slow and/or stalling.
My basic hardware: AMD Phenom II X965 with 8GB, NVIDIA 9600GT, Gigabyte
790xta-ud4 MB.

Regards, Frans.