Re: [opensuse] howto Delay switch to graphics mode on boot to monitor samba, mysql & ntp??
  • From: auxsvr@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 14:01:12 +0300
On Monday 02 of August 2010 08:07:33 David C. Rankin wrote:
Guys,

The runlevel 5 init scripts have been rearranged and now the switch to
graphics mode from text mode occurs much too early hiding a majority of the
boot process (samba, mysql, ntp, etc....) How can I change the time when
this switch occurs so I can monitor the boot process like we have always
been able to. Before it was very useful for catching errors after config
changes, etc.. Now all of this is obscured and hidden from the user.

I can think of several ways: change the dependencies of /etc/rc.d/xdm and
/etc/rc.d/earlyxdm, deactivate earlyxdm or set RUN_PARALLEL="no" in
/etc/sysconfig/boot. A combination of these should probably suffice.

Having the switch to graphics mode this early seems ridiculous. Instead of
being able to monitor for errors now, you are switched into a basically
'dead' login display that is virtually non-responsive until the boot
process completes anyway.

I can immediately log-in here, when kdm appears.

Regards,
Peter