Re: [opensuse] Kaffeine on 11.3 fails to produce audio
  • From: Peter Nikolic <p.nikolic1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 15:48:12 +0100
On Tuesday 27 Jul 2010 14:53:29 Basil Chupin wrote:
On 27/07/10 23:24, Peter Nikolic wrote:
On Tuesday 27 Jul 2010 12:53:55 Basil Chupin wrote:
On 27/07/10 17:12, Peter Nikolic wrote:
On Tuesday 27 Jul 2010 00:52:17 Rodney Baker wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 19:30:31 Basil Chupin wrote:
On 07/07/10 19:37, peter nikolic wrote:
Well this does not bode at all well

Kaffeine fails very miserably on the first hurdle try to view TV
and i get a quick click of sound no video and a report of kaffeine
xbu segmentation fault this is not good at all for what is supposed
to be the best around in fact it sucks .

There is nothing spectacular about kaffeine, Peter, except that it
can record a program. (I've been waiting for a fix to be implemented
for around 12 months now after the maintainer said he found the
reason for the problem I reported :-( .)

I use xine which I find far superior to kaffeine - except that it
cannot do recordings.

To use xine install xine-ui. Configure xine - if you need some info
or even my control file then simply ask and I'll send you my copy
which you can then alter to suit your system.

Also, to watch TV you will need to create a channels.conf file for it
and the bestest way of doing this is to install w-scan; then run
"w_scan -c<yy> -X> channels.conf" [1] where<yy> is your
country's code (like AU is for me) and it will generate the conf
file for where you live; copy this conf file to the ~/.xine
directory and away you go with your TV. (BTW, the line command I
just gave applies for a terrestrial system - and you will need to
change the "-c" to configure for for cable or satellite - read the
README for w-scan.)

[1] note the difference between the "-" and the underscore "_" in
"w-scan" and "w_scan". Also note my use of">" and not the">>" used in
the README.

BC

Basil,
Where did you get w_scan from? I can't find it in any of the repo's
that I have configured (which include packman and vlc) - running
11.2/KDE4.4.93.

Thanks,
Rodney.

Yes Hi again Basil .

i have to admit i had forgotten about w-scan althou xine does scan ok a
bit slow and clunky and makes a bit of a mess it works BUT VLC
also works and does a nice job of the tv display

I'm buggered if I can figure out on how to get vlc to recognise the TV
channels on the DVB-T card :-( . And I cannot find the appopriate
documentation which would show me how to do this - most of the dox
appear to be in the "yet to do" category :-( . Perhaps something in the
mail list of the forum for videolan but as xine is working most
satisfactorily for me I haven't bothered to go tearing my hair out
trying to get vlc to do TV.

Right then here is what i do to get VLC to show TV

Open VLC> Media> open capture device

New window opens

then the box where it says video for Linux 2 click on that pick DVB
you will then see just below that the DVB adaptor pick DVB s t or c
to suit your card mine is t terristial then at the bottom of the window
you will see a button Play click that it will then clear off a new small
window will open and show the scan progress .

Been there, done that...and this is where the wheels fall off :-( . The
scan progresses but no stations are selected! :-( . Zilch. Nothing. :-(

Something is missing but I don't know what.

If I could get the darn thing to actually find the stations during the
scan I would be a happy-chappy. kaffeine will do it without any
problems; xine will do it with the help of either dvb-utils or w-scan -
but not vlc :-( .

BC
Hum well not sure what is missing then this is just a new install of 11.3
x86_64 with the pacman repo updates maybe it is to do with that but it just
worked and was likewise on 11.2

Pete .