Re: [opensuse] Network Manager and WPA/PSK with TKIP
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 08:15:46 +0200
On Sun, 2010-07-04 at 15:37 -0400, Mark Misulich wrote:
On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 01:44 +0930, Rodney Baker wrote:
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 23:54:38 James Knott wrote:
Rodney Baker wrote:
What gui interface to Network Manager are you using?

Whatever one comes with KDE 3.

Yep, that's what I thought. I never used the KDE 3 version but I might have
install it because the KDE 4 one is seriously challenged in this area. It's
handling of switching between multiple wired networks is actually pretty
good
(very good in fact - easier than Windows) but it's missing one critical
(for
me) wireless feature.

The command line interface cnetworkmanager works for the wireless network
but
not for the wired interface. The underlying tool seems to work well now,
its
just the interface options for KDE4 that are lacking.

Thanks for your input, James. Very helpful.

I can verify it works on 11.2 (update repo applied) and 11.3 (current
release candidate) with the Network Manager. This is in
my /var/log/wpa_supplicant.log:

Trying to associate with 00:18:4d:09:ef:36 (SSID='essential' freq=2412 MHz)
Associated with 00:18:4d:09:ef:36
WPA: Key negotiation completed with 00:18:4d:09:ef:36 [PTK=CCMP GTK=TKIP]
CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to 00:18:4d:09:ef:36 completed (auth) [id=0
id_str=]

I use the KDE Network manager, The password is managed there. In Yast
you must say you want to use this to configure the network. Then there
is an icon in the KDE panel. In this method, the connection only works
when someone with a network password is logged in. And it is here that
you can change which wireless to use. As usual, right click on the
icon.

If using the same wireless access point all the time, in yast choose the
traditional method, and the items (e.g., password) are then entered in
yast. Then it is available even when no one is logged in. It is all
where you configure network cards in yast.

Your choice depends on your needs.

rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx

there has been a problem with network manager since the 11.2 opensuse
version with kde4. I am still using 11.1 on this laptop because it uses
the kde3 networkmanager.

Old status. It has been working for some time. I use numerous wireless
connections (home and hotels) and it 'just works'.

Indeed, when 11.2 first came out, the story was a very different one...

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB