Re: [opensuse] Network Manager and WPA/PSK with TKIP
  • From: Ken Schneider - openSUSE <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2010 09:00:04 -0400
On 07/04/2010 08:50 AM, Rodney Baker pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 21:45:20 Rodney Baker wrote:
Listmates,

Tonight I was just reminded why I've been avoiding Network Manager like the
plague. Is anyone successfully using Network Manager/KDE4 with a WLAN
connection using WPA2-PSK/TKIP?

My laptops (work and home) have been using ifup to manage the network
connections and connecting to my home wireless network absolutely fine for
ages.

Tonight I decided to give Network Manager another go on the work laptop
because I often have to plug into different networks at work for equipment
maintenance purposes and need an easy way of switching between different
networks/subnets on the wired ethernet port (which I may have to do several
times in a day). We don't use DHCP on any of our networks for security
reasons (our network administrator comes from a banking background and has
very set ideas on network security which no-one is going to change).

Trouble is, as soon as I enable Network Manager I can't connect to my home
network which uses WPA2-PSK/TKIP with a 64 character hexadecimal shared
key.

Network Manager only gives me the following security options:

None, LEAP, Dynamic WEP, WEP, WPA/WPA2 Personal (expects a password),
WPA/WPA2 Enterprise (expects signed certificates, private key/password
etc.).

Why can it not use WPA-PSK2 like the ifup method (as configured in Yast2
Network Setup)? Is there something I'm missing here?

Running latest KDE 4.4.4, Network Manager 0.9.svn1043876-1.4.1-k586 and an
Intel on-board wireless card using the iw3945 driver.

The really frustrating thing here is that cnetworkmanager (the CLI version)
works perfectly as long as KNetworkManager is not running! Connected to the
wireless network fine (but that requires manual intervention via a console
session).

Looks like I'll need to raise a bug/feature request and wait for
KNetworkManager to be fixed...

Don't hold your breath.

Oh, one other really annoying thing - KNetworkManager reports the wired
ethernet connection as only running at 10Mb/s instead of 100Mb/s with no way
to configure the connection speed.

Hmmm - seems KNetworkManager is still rather broken...

The programmers will get it right one of these releases.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998