Re: [opensuse] Attempting to install RealPlayer
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 22:46:57 +0200
On 2010-06-29 08:01, David Haller wrote:
Hello,

On 2010-06-23 02:47, David Haller wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010, Carlos E. R. wrote:
I'm attempting to install RealPlayer (I have some videos that need it
(3gp)), from

Have you tried playing those with mplayer or vlc?

Yes, but they don't work well. Sound did not work for me last
time. Perhaps I did not install all the codecs.

Did you use the packman (or for vlc: the packman or videolan-repo)
versions?

Yes, from packman.

Actually, you don't stumble often over realmedia stuff anymore, and
e.g. (elderly) "Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie" .rm are:

Eummm.... not that type. My problems are videos recorded by my Nokia mobile
phone (cellular). They
are 3gp, and I have no choice of format. I can convert them to avi using
ffmpeg, but they turn out
quite bigger.

cer@Elessar:~/Documents> file Vídeo0023.3gp
Vídeo0023.3gp: ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, 3GPP

cer@Elessar:~/Documents> mediainfo Vídeo0023.3gp
General
Complete name : Vídeo0023.3gp
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : 3GPP Media Release 5
Codec ID : 3gp5
File size : 5.20 MiB
Duration : 5mn 33s
Overall bit rate : 131 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2009-12-10 12:59:30
Tagged date : UTC 2009-12-10 12:59:30

Video
ID : 1
Format : H.263
Format profile : BaseLine@xxx
Codec ID : s263
Duration : 5mn 33s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 117 Kbps
Width : 176 pixels
Height : 144 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 1.222
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 8.885 fps
Minimum frame rate : 1.350 fps
Maximum frame rate : 16.121 fps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.518
Stream size : 4.64 MiB (89%)
Writing library : hant
Language : English
Encoded date : UTC 2009-12-10 12:59:30
Tagged date : UTC 2009-12-10 12:59:30

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AMR
Format/Info : Adaptive Multi-Rate
Format profile : Narrow band
Codec ID : samr
Duration : 5mn 33s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 12.8 Kbps
Channel(s) : 1 channel
Sampling rate : 8 000 Hz
Resolution : 13 bits
Stream size : 522 KiB (10%)
Writing library : Nokia
Language : English
Encoded date : UTC 2009-12-10 12:59:30
Tagged date : UTC 2009-12-10 12:59:30

Xine plays it well, but the audio is horrible, turns on and off white noise,
not the sound.

This is simply incompatible. Just use
rpm -i --noscripts /home/cer/Download/RealPlayer11GOLD.rpm
and run /opt/real/RealPlayer/postinst/postinst.sh manually.
[..]
Yes! It worked, thanks.

Bingo! :)

Glad it worked, but have a look, as at least mplayer should play that
stuff. Mail me a sample URL if it doesn't, so I can have a look.

Let me see... I have a 2 MB one available if you want. Hah, realplayer does not
play sound of it, it
is not a reliable program. The second time you play something it fails.

Or, you can fetch one from some bugzillas I posted. In Bug 605856 there is one.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" GM (Elessar))