Re: [opensuse] Re: Alsa lib
  • From: Ken Schneider - openSUSE <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 10:00:13 -0400
On 06/29/2010 09:47 AM, James Hatridge pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
Hi Philipp et al,

* James Hatridge (James.Hatridge@xxxxxx) [20100628 18:00]:
Which multimedia:libs repositories? And what is OBS?

OBS is the openSUSE build service at http:/build.opensuse.org.
multimedia:libs is a project within the OBS, from whose repository you can
dl newer ALSA libs. An easy way is to go to software.opensuse.org/search and
search for the package in the given distribution. On success the search will
return links that let you install the package.

Does anyone know if this version problem will be fixed in 11.3?

What version problem?

I'm running 11.2 64bit and it will install only the 1.0.21 version. To me
that
is a problem.There should be some easy way for me to tell yast to install the
newest version of a file, or it tell me that a newer one is ready. When I run
yast all I get is the older version.

Philipp

BTW, thanks for a great Linux!

JIM

openSUSE does not provide the newest versions of apps during the
lifetime of the version. Instead openSUSE will provide security updates
by backporting them as an incremental update to the installed version.
This is done in an effort to maintain stability of the released
versions. You may be able to find and install a "newer" version by
looking through the various repos that are available but you do so at
your own risk. You need to know what you are doing when adding
"unofficial" third party repos.

HTH

--
Ken Schneider