Fwd: Re: [opensuse] How to make Amarok make sound
  • From: Doug <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 03:33:40 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [opensuse] How to make Amarok make sound
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 23:27:26 -0400
From: Doug <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx

On 06/15/2010 12:05 AM, Rajko M. wrote:
On Tuesday 15 June 2010 22:16:21 Doug wrote:
OS ver: 11.1. Amarok finds .mp3 files on a CD. ...

http://opensuse-community.org/Restricted_Formats/11.1

I guess short enough :)

I finally got around to doing as you said. It took about 20

/snip/

Now that I did what Rajko said, and it didn't work, I went to the
help file on the net, "SDB:AudioTroubleshooting" and made things
worse. I still get a musical noise when the screen first comes
to life at bootup, but now a configuration in the troubleshooting
guide doesn't work anymore: speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twav
used to produce a voice that said "front left front right" etc.,
according to which speaker it activated. That doesn't sound anymore.
I have checked the mxr settings, and everything is turned up to about
70%.

Using the instructions, Step 3, I created an "alsa-info.txt.v1GkAKPL25
file in the /tmp/ directory, which, when printed, runs to 17 pages.
I could send it as an email to anyone who is willing to decode it and
see what it means. (It appears to be written in a mixture of English
and something like C.) It may actually be stored in
www.alsa-project.org as I believe the file was uploaded to that location.

The codec that it finds is ALC655. That seems to be a valid number.

In step 4 of the instructions, it references Zypper. Zypper shows
on my screen, but does not do anything, as far as I can tell.
Nothing happens when I snap on the icon. I did follow the instructions
to restart the alsa driver, but that seems to do nothing useful.

I just noticed that I no longer have a speaker icon in the tray,
so I don't know what the mxr is set for anymore. Things just go
from bad to terrible.

So, what now, experts?

Thanx in advance--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A. M. Greeley