Re: [opensuse] automatically restarting daemons in rc scripts
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 12:42:24 +0200
On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 10:45 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

-w Wait the first started process to terminate before
returning. If the parent process of the daemon
does not finish also startproc(8) does not finish.

Hmm, I'll have to try that out - I can't quite visualize what it's
supposed to do.

In an rc script, it is indeed mysterious. But I guess startproc can be
used anywhere you want to start something. In other contexts it may be
useful not to have the program drop into the background.

As to the daemon in question (vblade), I see that I can stop and restart
it, and the remote system seems still to run. vblade makes the root file
system image available over Ethernet. I am guessing that if I am unlucky
and vblade fails when some access on the remote diskless system happens,
I may still have problems.

But, one thing at a time. First I will replace the SUSE RPM rc script
for vblade with my own that restarts the daemon if it fails. Then I will
see how things shape up.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST