Re: [opensuse] Using google for authentication?
  • From: Verner Kjærsgaard <vk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 09:15:13 +0200

Roger Oberholtzer skrev:
On Tue, 2010-06-15 at 14:24 -0400, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
El 14/06/10 08:01, Adam Tauno Williams escribió:
On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 12:10 +0200, Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:
Hi list,
- just an idea...would it be possible (has anyone done it) to use your
google login to authenticate your access to your central openSuse box?
Possible, sure; aside from being a horrible idea. [Authentication fails
if the Internet connection is down, or if the provider changes their
API, hostname, etc...]
Not necessarily, If the provider is down, system can fallback to other
metnhod.

There is something like that with active directory login. Perhaps the
same thing could be used here. But this would mean that anyone with a
google account could, for example, ssh into your machine. I don't even
like that this is the case with all the people in my company via active
directory (can't limit it to certain patterns, or even a list of users -
too bad). All google users? Surely someone would find a way to abuse
that!

Thanks to all for their participation in this discussion :-)
I feel I better explain my reasons for asking..

I manage our school IT...well actually I don't, but somehow it always
seems to fall back onto my shoulders...

We wish to employ google-apps for as much as possible, starting
mid-august. This means managing google-apps with 250+ accounts and all.

At the same time, I (unfortunately) have to maintain some local storage
and some local apps served to some of the users by means of KIWI/LTSP.

In order to avoid double administration of usernames/passwords, I would
very much like to query the individual users google account for
authentication to login to the central openSUSE box. And, if possible,
also grant access to the individual users SAMBA share (served to the
poor windows only users).