Re: [opensuse] Re: openSUSE 10.3, ssh and X11 forwarding
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 14:02:47 +0200
On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 14:29 +0100, Peter Suetterlin wrote:
Joachim Schrod wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Wed, 2010-06-09 at 11:31 -0300, Marco Calistri wrote:

The offending system is a KIWI-based diskless system. The sshd
rpm and service is enabled, as I can use it to log in. Just no X11 port
on the ssh-from machine nor DISPLAY value on the ssh-to machine.

What's the output of "ssh -X -v user@system"?

At the end (or the previous-to-last line) there should be:
debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.

Probably you'll find a message there that xauth is not working or
similar.

I second that. You might not really see an error (I don't see one here in a
comparable case), but if xauth and/or probably some X libraries are not there,
you don't get the X forwarding....

I am guessing this is what my problem is. The missing libraries are on
the system into which ssh is connecting. The system I am connecting from
works towards a standard installed openSUSE. As I wrote elsewhere in the
thread, the system I an connecting to is a KIWI diskless openSUSE. So I
am keeping the installed software to the absolute minimum. Of course, I
can add whatever is missing. Provided I can determine what it is.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Ramböll RST/OPQ

Ramböll Sverige AB