Re: [opensuse] Panel behavior in kde4
  • From: Thomas Taylor <linxt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 17:04:33 -0700
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 19:08:32 +0300
Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I want to produce in the kde4 panel something like the behavior that I
found effective and useful in kde3 panels. What was done then was to
arrange on a second panel at the top of the screen icons representing the
apps and utilities that I used routinely, so that loading one of them was
a simple matter of reaching up with the mouse and clicking on whatever I
needed.

As far as I have been able to find, the panel in kde4 doesn't lend itself
to containing anything but a limited set of "widgets". Clicking in an
unoccupied region of a panel with MB2 (called by right0handed people
"right-click") brings up the following list of items: Add Widgets, Add
Panel, Lock Widgets, Panel Settings, and Remove this Panel. Nothing about
non-widget objects. For that matter, nothing about moving even a widget
from one location to another on the panel -- where is falls is where it
has to remain. I am sure that I am missing something, because I do not
believe that functionality can have been removed, thus rendering the panel
a far less useful thing. What is it that I am missing?

Right clicking on any program in the start menu brings a pop-up menu with one
of the options being "add to panel". Works just fine.

Tom

--
Tom Taylor - retired penguin
openSuSE 11.3-M7 x86_64