Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 10.3, ssh and X11 forwarding
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 16:15:47 +0200
On Wed, 2010-06-09 at 14:14 +0200, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Wed, 2010-06-09 at 12:48 +0200, Johannes Mueller-Lahn wrote:
Hello,

I had that case on SLES11. I installed "xorg-x11-xauth" via yast,
afterwards I
could do a ssh -X -l root <remote> and then Display forwarding worked for
me. I
dont know how this behaves on 10.3.

There is no xorg-x11-xauth package on the 10.3. Too bad. Perhaps there
is still some missing package. I so did not expect this. Timing for this
could not be worse...

I have now verified that a working source computer (the machine I ssh
from) fails against the host I want to run an X app from. When the ssh
connection is made, the two machines must, it seems, agree on something
before the ssh-from machine will set up the X port. It seems that is
failing.

So, perhaps there is something mussing on the system I ssh into that
makes this not work. It is a rather scaled-down system. ssh is of course
installed. Is there anything else that needs to be installed on the ssh
destination for X forwarding to work?

Best regards,

Johannes Müller-Lahn

---
Heinz Tröber GmbH & Co KG / Chief Information Officer
Sitz: Hamburg / Amtsgericht Hamburg HRB 39527
Geschäftsführer: Klaus Tröber, Reza Etehad
Ust.ID Nr: DE 118433283

Volksdorfer Weg 186 / D-22393 Hamburg
Tel: 0049 40 - 601 715 96 - Fax: 0049 40 - 601 715 78
johannes.mueller-lahn@xxxxxxxxxxx / http://www.troeber.com

Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx> hat am 9. Juni 2010 um 12:36 geschrieben:

I am trying to run a remote X application on a 10.3 system. There is a
problem connecting to the display from the system I ssh into. I do this
all the time, and usually there is no problem. But I have a system that
is not working and I do not know why. Perhaps I have forgotten a step in
10.3.

I have edited /etc/ssh/ssh_config on the system I ssh from, setting:

Host *
ForwardAgent yes
ForwardX11 yes
ForwardX11Trusted yes

There is nothing in ~/.ssh/ that overrides this.

When I connect to another system with ssh, I would expect the DISPLAY
variable to be something like localhost:11.0 But that is not the case.
In addition, I would expect to see a port listener on the system I
connect from, in this case on port 6011. There is no such thing.

I also tried the older method of setting DISPLAY on the remote system to
refer to the system I want the app to display on. This does not work
either. I ran xhost + on that system. Once again, I would expect to see
a port listener on port 6000 that can be connected to from other than
localhost. I do not see this.

Could there be something on the system I am ssh-ing to that keeps the
DISPLAY variable from being set?

I am in a real bind as I did not expect this problem and need to run the
app urgently! Any suggestions are appreciated!

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB