Re: [opensuse] Eee-pc hotkey config app.
  • From: Herbert Graeber <hgraeber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 16:46:53 +0200
Am Dienstag 08 Juni 2010, 15:09:03 schrieb C:
On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 11:46, Oddball wrote:
What you say i can imagine quit well, as it is candy.
Not to have it, while other distro's have it, is different.
Do you understand?
It is not you cann't do without it, but why if it is available?
And it looks real nice, good job done there, which i also appreciate
much.

Sure, no argument that you should have the apps you want etc.

I think the key point though was in Herbert G's comment in the other
thread on this topic.

<quote>
eee-control depends on a
special kernel module (eeepc-acpi) made by asus. Since openSUSE 11.2 the
kernel has is own kernel module (eeepc_laptop) for this, which does the
job. All these backports of eee-control and eeepc-acpi origin from pre
openSUSE 11.2 time and shouldn't be used for openSUSE 11.2 and above.
Best they would be purged from the Build Service, because the more harm
than help.
</quote>

I've been fine without the eee-control... just trying to see if I
missed anythign cool by no longer using it :-)

I have look at the latest version eee-control and it seems to support the
eeepc_laptopkernel module, too. So it it is fine to use with openSUSE 11.2,
but it is not neccessary, it's only for more comfort.

For those who likes to have eee-control for KDE4 (No, not me...), reuse eee-
control's daemon and rewrite the GUI part to use plasma. The original GUI is
written in python and plasma supports python too, so that' looks like the
easiest way.

Herbert