Re: [opensuse] KMail problem
  • From: Ken Schneider - openSUSE <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 09:03:36 -0400
On 06/04/2010 12:10 AM, Doug McGarrett pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
On Wednesday 02 June 2010 11:44:31 pm Thomas Taylor wrote:

Since your messages to this list are getting here, what setting differences
are you using from the messages that you can't send? That would at least
narrow the possible problems down.

I see you're using Thunderbird under windows for your messages to this
list. Is that going through the same server?

--
Tom Taylor - retired penguin

First, to answer the question, yes the same server.

Well, with a lot of futzing around--I'm not sure how I fixed it--I seem to
have gotten it working again. I called the help desk at optonline
(Optimum Cable) and, as I expected, the fellow was not familiar with
Linux, altho he seemed to be reasonably knowledgeable of the mail
routines, and suggested a few things that didn't work, including
changing the outgoing port. For a while, it seemed to be refusing
to send based on the sender being someone on the incoming
mail list, which had been read already! I finally cleared everything
in all mailboxes--in, out, sent, etc., emptied the main trash can--why
does it look like a spool of thread?--changed the port back to the
original 25, maybe I accidentally accessed something, i know I
unchecked _something_ but I don't know what it was--_sorry!_
and here we are. I think that some kind of virus got into the machine.
I'm not sure it's gone, but I hope so, having trashed a lot of
messages, in and out and, I think, saved.

BTW, I think I have turned off html in Thunderbird in Windows.
I didn't realize it was turned on. Windows is not helpful in that
respect. (AAMOF, Win 7 has been giving me fits, and I wish I
had never "upgraded" to it!)

Now all that is left is to use Reply-to-List instead of reply to all
when responding.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998