Re: [opensuse] openSUSE on SSD?
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 10:14:54 +0200
On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 00:54 +0200, David Haller wrote:
Hello,

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010, Greg Freemyer wrote:
And Ted's post you linked to says Mutt breaks if you simply switch to
noatime without in some way reconfiguring Mutt. (He doesn't provide
details as to how to fix Mutt.)

==== mutt/manual.txt ====
Note: new mail is detected by comparing the last modification time to
the last access time. Utilities like biff or frm or any other program
which accesses the mailbox might cause Mutt to never detect new mail
for that mailbox if they do not properly reset the access time.
Backup tools are another common reason for updated access times.
====

Odd. access != modification. Backup should only care about changes, not
simple accesses that do not change the thing accessed. I wonder if the
docs match the program. Perhaps what they mean by access is
modification, and are just being imprecise in the description. I would
be sorely disappointed in any software that detected changes because I
had looked at - but not changed - something.

I wonder about the mutt method. If an independent program that had
nothing to do with showing me mail accessed (no change) a mail message
file before mutt did, mutt would not detect that it was new? Or does
mutt also say that no other software can look at (not change) the mail
files?

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST