Re: [opensuse] compression with recovery data and automatic archive split
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 18:07:17 +0200 (CEST)

On Saturday, 2010-05-22 at 16:13 +0300, Mark Goldstein wrote:

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Carlos E. R. <> wrote:

I wonder if there are opensource compressors with similar features?

7-zip, probably? It does have -v (volume) option. I do not know
whether it creates recovery data. I never used it for such a huge
volumes, but on usual stuff it is mostly better than rar.
(There is p7zip version for Linux and some GUI front-ends, like Q7Z).

I'll have a look.

I would expect the compressor to be slow on huge data set. It has to
do some preliminary pass or at least some level of "looking forward",
has it not?

I suppose :-)

I'm now testing another alternative: zisofs.

First I split the original image file:

time nice split --bytes=220M --numeric-suffixes --suffix-length=4 ../sda.img
sda.

It produced 738 files in 113 minutes (same hard disk) (cpu time 10s user, 5' sys). The next step is to compress the data:

time nice mkzftree -p 4 splits/ splits.zisofs

I see the HD churning at 30..50 MB/s, with 61 files so far of variying size (summing 8.0 GiB now). It has some time to run, so I'll get my siesta now :-)

Next step will be to produce the iso images, which are compressed and readable directly by the system. Humm... what will "dvdisaster" say about those images, I wonder? It might not work :-?

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.