Re: [opensuse] Root-partition migration ext3 to ext4
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 01:58:33 +0200

On 2010-05-20 23:20, Hans de Faber wrote:

Here is the line
"/dev/disk/by-id/ata-SAMSUNG_HD103SJ_S246JDWS911276-part5 / ext4
defaults 1 1 "

┬┐No other?
Not relevant all lines are OK, its a 100% copy of my running ext3 root
partition. Only ext3 is changed in ext4 and part6 in part5

You haven't copied the output of the file -s command I suggested.

But I think I have found the source of the error
In the file:///boot/initrd- is hard coded the

How do you know?

Unpack and open the file with okteta

That's just an hex editor.

cp /boot/initrd /tmp/initrd.cpio.gz
gunzip /tmp/initrd.cpio.gz

then you can view /tmp/initrd/cpio with mc, for instance, or expand it into a

The configuration appears to be in /tmp/initrdtree/config/, and, and a few more,

That is new to me.
And I have changed the root filesystem in 11.2 sucessfully.

I changed also my rootpartion succesfully, you can override the disk and
the partition in grubs menu.lst. But you can't overide the filesystem in
grub and thats the problem

You may be right.

Bug 577798 - mounts a reiserfs partition and reports ext3.

I hadn't realized the implications. My memory remembered the incident
incorrectly. It booted
correctly because my initrd was correct and matched the filesystem.

Thus the question is now how to generate a new initrd

Yes and how do I put in the new parameters ????
IF I boot the new partition I don't have a complete OS.

The tool is probably "mkinitrd_setup", and I think it uses "mkinitrd.config" as
a config file (saved
in the cpio). In my case, it contains one line:

- -k /boot/vmlinuz- -i /boot/initrd-

The script has this syntax:

mkinitrd_setup [-s|--scriptdir <scriptdir>]
[-i|--installdir <installdir>]
[-d|--debug] [-o|--offset <offset>] [-h|--help]

Install mkinitrd scripts. Options are:
-s|--scriptdir Install initrd scripts from dir <scriptdir>
-i|--installdir Install initrd scripts in dir <installdir>
-d|--debug Enable debug output
-o|--offset Use <offset> between script numbers.

But the files given to -k or -i are not configuration files.

Things do not add up....

You might expand the cpio tree, manually replace "ext3" with "ext4" on all
files with a text editor,
manually recreate the "initrd.cpio.gz" archive from the tree, and replace the
original initrd
archive with it.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" GM (Elessar))
Version: GnuPG v2.0.12 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with SUSE -