Re: [opensuse] Root-partition migration ext3 to ext4
  • From: Hans de Faber <hans.defaber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 21:41:21 +0200

On 20/05/10 20:39, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2010-05-20 15:36, Hans de Faber wrote:
On 20/05/10 15:14, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Hans de Faber <> [05-20-10 08:54]:

I want to migrate my rootdisk from ext3 to ext4, but after the migration
in the startup fsck.ext3 starts and the boot stops.

Used partitions;
part3 ext3 grub bootdisk (stays at ext3)
part5 ext3 / (migrate to ext4)

what filesystem does /etc/fstab show for "/", part5 ?

The / partition is not mentioned in /etc/fstab.

Impossible.

I think it doesn't solve the problem.
Fstab is opened in a later stage of the bootprocess.

Not true.
That file is parsed by the script doing the fsck to know what it has to fsck.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

I lived since the 11.2 upgrade with no / line in fstab, I thought this
was new in 11.2 no problems
For this debugging I put the following line in fstab

/dev/sda5 / ext4 defaults 1 1

Some more info from my bootconsole.
1 The startup process tries to resume from the swapfile, nothing in so
continue
2 the bootprocess does a fsck.ext3 /dev/sda5 "fs clean"
3 the bootprocess does a mount,
mount -o rw -t ext3 /dev/sda5 /
this ends with the error "wrong fs"
Then the startup ends.

The question is still the same, where in the startup is mount -t ext3
hard coded ?

Thanks, Hans