[opensuse] 11.0 Screensaver lockup
  • From: "Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC)" <hyltonconacher@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 21:22:00 +0200
Hi,

Using oS 11.0 on a file/mailserver that is also currently being used
as a workstation until I get a LAN connected PC functioning on 11.2.

I have Solar Winds (GL) as a screensaver on KDE running oS 11.0 and if
I am away from operating the machine and the screensaver kicks in, I
very often cannot wake it ie the kb and mouse are locked up, not even
enabling a change into a vt(Ctrl-Alt-F1).

The only solution I have is to warm reboot the machine by depressing
the reset button on the case.

The filesystems are recovered OK, thanks to ext3, but it is a real
pain to have to open the apps I had open before I left the machine ie
Thunderbird, KWrite, a konsole as well as four Openoffice documents I
am constantly editing during the day.

I would like to find out what is causing this lockup before I go and
change screensavers and a whole lot of other settings. The machine has
2GB of RAM and a 1GB swap file which is hardly ever used.
I thought of looking at /var/log/messages but am unsure when/where ie
in which file to look.

Any ideas of where to look to find the problem?

Regards
Hylton