Re: [opensuse] Zypper died suddenly!
  • From: Jon Clausen <jon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 21:06:22 +0200
On Thu, 13 May, 2010 at 11:36:38 -0400, John E. Perry wrote:
On 05/13/2010 04:22 AM, Jon Clausen wrote:
On Wed, 12 May, 2010 at 16:27:22 -0400, John E. Perry wrote:

Not much to be scared of, really ;)

:-) -- Says you!

:D

Back up everything.
Create a temporary directory
Download individual rpms

True, it all looks pretty safe, and I'm sure it is for you. But I've
followed directions I thought I understood before and run into trouble.

Yeah, I know how that feels... Very sensible to tread lightly.

And as I said, I was working through it to be sure I really understood
the instructions before starting when Tony's suggestion arrived.

See that's something *I* would've been a little wary of. I've had things go
pretty wrong, by 'just symlinking' some version of some lib, to a different
version... which reminds me:

The link you created probably isn't doing anything bad, but I'd suggest
removing it anyways. Since your zypper is now at the 'current' version, the
link shouldn't be neccessary anymore, and it might cause confusion at some
later stage...

Just:

rpm -q zypper

embelex:/usr/lib # rpm -q zypper
zypper-1.3.4-0.1.3.i586

So it appears I'm up to date.

Indeed. Nice :)

So it appears Tony's trick was enough to get zypper back in good shape,
and my system back up to date.

Thanks very much! Not only is my system fixed, but I've learned some
neat stuff.

:)

/jon
--