Re: [opensuse] Zypper died suddenly!
  • From: Jon Clausen <jon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 10:22:06 +0200
On Wed, 12 May, 2010 at 16:27:22 -0400, John E. Perry wrote:
On 05/11/2010 11:43 AM, John E. Perry wrote:

Jon:

Something like 'less /root/.bash_history' (as root) might help retrace
your steps?

Since I only go to the command line for special reasons (like zypper), I
didn't expect to find anything there (the last few lines of 500 :-):

<snip>

The first zypper dup was from a couple of weeks ago, just before I was
experimenting with networking commands after a message on this list made
me curious. I don't see anything here that could show a problem?

No. It ws more of a "let's check, in case something turns up". I wasn't much
expecting anything either. Especially since lots of things, like invocation
af yast2 from inside a GUI, won't show.

I was reading over the rest of your message, and trying to work up the
courage to go through this scary process, when

Not much to be scared of, really ;)

None of the 'rpm -q <something>' commands do anything potentially harmful,
and as long as you pass '--test' then neither will 'rpm -Uvh <something>'.

So the only thing 'scary' is getting lots of various output thrown at you...
:D

Tony's message came up:

A workaround, that worked for this time anyhow, is I created a
symbolic link libzypper.so.619 pointing to the current
libzypp.so.631.0.4 library,

and it worked fine for me! Apparently I'm not the only one who had this
problem? Maybe switching from "dup" to "up" did something similar to
what your fellow instructor did?

I think Jano's probably right.

I suppose sometime soon I'll work up the courage to delete the link and
see if my zypper is up to date...

Just:

rpm -q zypper

I get:
jon@nx8220:~> rpm -q zypper
zypper-1.3.4-0.1.3.i586

- which is the current 'openSUSE 11.2 Updates' version.

hth
/jon
--
YMMV