Re: [opensuse] Using a Vodaphone UMTS stick with Linux/openSUSE
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 22:56:44 +0200
On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 22:46 +0200, C wrote:
And.. solved... it was.. easy-ish.

After loads of digging and searching... I discovered this page
https://forge.betavine.net/frs/?group_id=12
which is the software repo for Vodafone's Linux software and
drivers... I installed the three RPMs under the openSUSE 11.2
heading... started up the vodafone app... which told me my user needed
to be a member of a coupel groups.. fixed that logged out.. then
decided to reboot for good measure.

I plugged in the UMTS stick... I did NOT have to fiddle with Ejecting
it via Dolphin. I just started up the Vodafone application.. filled
in the info the startup wizard asked for, and clicked connect... and
it connected right away. When you first load a web page it redirects
to a Vodafone website where you can load credit etc... and... that's
it. It's up and working... and Vodafone fully supports openSUSE with
their devices.. they just don't advertise the fact nor make it
particularly easy to discover this info.

Lucky you. Comviq do not offer such support. Or is is also well hidden.

Next step for me is to update the openSUSE Wiki entry I suppose.

Please do. Any related information is useful!

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Ramböll RST/OPQ

Ramböll Sverige AB