Re: [opensuse] Re: Thunderbird 3.0.4 - Deleting Large No. of Messages leaves Tbird indexing and eating 87% of CPU for hours...
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 08:11:32 +0200

On 2010-05-05 04:29, Linda Walsh wrote:
Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:

[Sent later]

I had mine down to my normal 3 + calendar, but couldn't
(I swear, I went through trouble of installing it twice and have
been using it since 1.5, so I'm not a complete stranger!), find
how to turn off the calendar which seemed to waste alot of space
and didn't want (I've had sunbird loaded off and on, but never
found it useful enough for the real-estate it took up).

I'm using 3.04 and I don't see any calendar.

I *liked* the idea of the indexing, though I'd certainly want it
in 64-bits. But I get along well with the server side indexing which is
innately much faster as it's right there with the disks. The client could
only index what it has dowloaded and keeps local. I use IMAP, so I
have the general idea of keeping my email on the server, but Mozilla
DOES tend to cling onto every 'body' I download, so I end up with huge
local stores. My "appdata/roaming/thunderbird/profile/xxyz" dir on
my winclient is running 1.5G, with 1.1G of that being in ImapMail. :-(

Notice that there are two types of indexes. One is the global content index,
which is optional
(default is "on", I think). Then there is the headers indexes, which is one per
folder, and it is
not optional (they are recreated on deletion). Local or remote imap, does not
matter, you get your

And then, there are content caches, which are also optional (under "offline
usage").

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" GM (Minas Tirith))